The junior specialist’s efforts will be dedicated to assist the Koliwad laboratory in the conduct of clinical research aimed at identifying causes and treatments of obesity and obesity related complications, including Diabetes. In addition, the junior specialist will work with various researchers from the Division of Endocrinology and the Diabetes Center to conduct research on a variety of topics including autoimmunity, diabetes, thyroid, and bone disease. Tasks will include study coordination, data collection and data management.
• Under the direction of Principal Investigator(s) and Specialists, will assist in all phases of study implementation, study coordination, data collection and data management.
• Along with the Principal Investigator(s) and Specialists, may oversee day-to-day work of research associates and other members of the clinical research team.
• Ensure that all studies adhere to federal and state IRB requirements and protection of human subjects.
• Ensure that all regulatory activities adhere to internal procedures for archiving and reporting.
• Oversee activities involving the planning and conduct of Investigator meetings, steering committee meetings, conference calls, and related activities. Ensure the meetings occur at appropriate time intervals.
• Assist with publication of study results, manuscripts and presentation for the scientific community.
• Attend and actively participate in regular team meetings
• Perform other duties as assigned
Conduct project-specific activities including:
Study Coordination and Data Collection
• Identify subjects, develop recruitment and retention strategies, and screen and enroll study subjects.
• Schedule subjects for study visits; meet with them to administer questionnaires, collect medical history and perform study procedures.
• Maintain rapport and relationships with subjects to ensure effective communication and retention; respond to their diverse needs, schedule follow-up appointments, and become their intermediary
• Obtain informed consent; review information with subjects; assess and advocate for patient safety throughout each protocol procedure.
• Oversee subject reimbursement; work to resolve discrepancies and issues.
• Work with staff to ensure procedures are completed, specimens properly stored, and required data collected at visits; and ensure correct shipping and labeling measures.
• Coordinate, communicate and network with other studies and technicians to ensure scheduling efficiency; communicate with any affiliated groups.
• Conduct reviews of medical charts and electronic records to extract medical information and other data for use in studies.
Data management and reporting of results
• Collect data during subject visits; enter data from visits, procedures, lab tests, and other subject-related participation into databases in a timely manner.
• Assist in creation and management of study databases
• Assist in creation and maintenance of comprehensive data sets
• Maintain data collection forms for effective data collection, entry, and analysis.
• Perform queries and analysis in databases.
Quality control procedures
• Assist in oversight and implementation of data integrity
• Update and maintain a procedure manual documenting all study-related procedures; help develop plans to ensure consistency in data collection and data entry.
• Enter new study protocols into the Committee on Human Research (CHR) online system;
• Submit study modifications as needed
• Submit continuing reviews as required
• Maintain IRB binders
• Use sound judgment to maintain patient confidentiality when communicating with agencies, healthcare providers, other studies, and outside departments.
• Participate in and cooperate with any internal and external audits or reviews of study protocols; prepare necessary documentation.
• Maintain cell lines, and perform transfections and other techniques for heterologous expression of constructs in cells in vitro. Perform pharmacological treatments in primary cells and cell lines. Perform qPCR, western blot, ELISA, nuclear extraction, histology, microscopy, and other techniques on cells under a variety of treatment conditions.
• Data analysis and interpretation related to in vitro work.
• Studies focused on mice with aberrant angiopoietin-like 4 expression, along with relevant data analyses of the studies. These studies will include experiments in which the mice are fed diets containing excess fat, sugar, or are fasted and/or re-fed after a defined fasting period. Under these circumstances, the studies will entail analyzing key aspects of energy balance and glucose control in tissues and systemically, using equipment available in the UCSF Diabetes Center Mouse Metabolism Core.
• Work on human fat, stromal, and blood immune cell populations. This work will entail analyses of protein expression, gene expression, cytokine and adipokine secretion, and individual cell sorting and cell surface immunophenotyping. The work will also involve global transcriptomic analysis using population and single-cell RNA-Seq.
• Education and Experience: BA/BS degree in a Biology, Chemistry or Psychology or other related science and knowledge of, or experience with, the basic techniques or methods required by the position.
• Attention to detail; strong interpersonal skills; excellent, effective verbal and written communication skills to coordinate with subjects, team members, other departments and outside institutions; and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while working with a diverse subject population
• Ability to work well independently, complete projects in a timely manner, and prioritize multiple projects to ensure the completion of essential tasks by deadlines
• Demonstrated initiative and follow-through
• Experience with western blot, basic biochemical assays, ELISA, tissue culture, and basic molecular biology techniques.
• Methodological knowledge on how to troubleshoot the molecular biology, protein biochemistry, and cellular assays to be performed
• Willing to travel to various UCSF campuses throughout the San Francisco Bay Area
• Applicants must possess these qualifications at the time of hire.
• Fluency in the usage of Committee of Human Research (CHR) online iMEDris system for submission, renewal, and modification of protocols through this system
• Ability to create rapport and a relationship with patients, while also giving insight to what is realistic and appropriate for patient participation
• Experience with electronic medical records, especially EPIC
• Knowledge of UCSF and departmental policies for dealing with reimbursement, guidelines for research, confidentiality and HIPPA regulations, following the UCSF mission statement and purpose for research, and clear understanding of policies and procedures on patient safety and confidentiality (electronic and hard copy medical records, patient charts, communication, etc.)
• Knowledge of medical terminology, research policies and guidelines, guidelines for packing / shipping infectious substances, database building / analysis, and data management within some of the following: Access, Stata, SASS / SPSS, REDCap and Teleform programming platforms
• Experience with REDCap or other database management systems; Labvantage or other specimen management systems; CHR online iMedRIS system; specimen collection and shipping
• Experience applying the following regulations and guidelines:
Good Clinical Practice Guidelines
Health Information and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
The Protection of Human Research Subjects
CHR regulations for recruitment and consent of research subjects
Effective Cash Handling Procedures
Environmental Health and Safety Training
Fire Safety Training
• Phlebotomy training and licensure
• Fluency in spoken and written Spanish is preferred
• Data analytical and interpretation skills
• Basic skills in statistical analysis and the use of relevant statistical software
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of mouse genetics and husbandry
• Mouse management, handling, and surgery
• Basic understanding of trouble-shooting experiments and problem solving
• Basic understanding of tissue histology and staining
• Preparation of scientific figures using Power Point, Adobe Illustrator, and/or similar programs
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF2407