Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our more than 900 staff members work in 26 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has approximately 700 consultants, including more than 425 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
Exponent’s Center for Health Sciences is seeking an Environmental Health Scientist for a Scientist level position in one of our San Francisco Bay Area offices (Oakland, CA or Menlo Park, CA). The individual in this position will be responsible for providing a high level of support to consultants on both reactive and proactive projects related to evaluation of health risks from exposures in occupational and community settings, including consumer product use scenarios. This person will be trained and mentored by senior level consultants in the Center and will have opportunities to collaborate with other groups outside of the Center.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Reviewing and summarizing scientific literature, regulatory standards, and guidance documents
- Reviewing and summarizing case materials (e.g., deposition testimony) in support of testifying experts involved in toxic tort and product liability litigation matters
- Managing and analyzing data generated from project tasks and applied research studies
- Contributing to the development of complex technical reports
- Managing and organizing project-related materials
- Interfacing with clients over email and telephone, and in-person
Qualifications for this position include:
- M.P.H., M.S., or Ph.D. in Environmental Health or related discipline with a specialization in one or more of the relevant subfields, including exposure science, industrial hygiene, occupational & environmental epidemiology, toxicology, and/or risk assessment
- 0-2 years of professional experience in a research and/or project management environment; relevant internship experience is a plus
- Commitment to publishing in the peer-reviewed literature, presenting at scientific conferences, and active involvement in professional societies
- Interest in obtaining relevant professional certification, such as Diplomat of the American Board of Toxicology (DABT) and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), if applicable
- Excellent communication, organization, writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, adaptable, effective with time management, and capable of working independently and in diverse teams
- Strong ability to prioritize multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Experience with statistical programming (e.g., R, SAS, or Stata) is a plus
- Exposure to sensitive information will necessitate considerable use of tact, diplomacy, discretion, and judgment
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Disabled Employer.