Who is Georgia-Pacific?Watch to find out!
Start your career at Leaf River Cellulose, LLC, a world-class manufacturing facility where team members are using innovative technologies to produce specialty and market fluff pulp for a variety of high-end uses across the globe.
For over 30 years, the Leaf River Mill team has been on a journey to make the best products possible for customers while doing it in new and innovative ways. Creating value for our customers and for society is the ultimate goal for our business, and one of our comparative advantages in our ability to do so is our employees.
With a workforce of approximately 300, the Leaf River Pulp Mill is a nonunion facility located in the heart of South Mississippi, just 20 miles from Hattiesburg.
As one of six mills in the GP Cellulose business, the Leaf River Mill is a showcase of safety, operational, and environmental excellence. Maintaining the highest levels of workplace safety for employees is crucial and is reflected in our status as an OSHA VPP Star site and a multiyear winner of the Georgia-Pacific CEO Safety Excellence Award. GP Cellulose is also committed to environmental sustainability and stewardship through every stage of our business, using environmentally-conscious production practices to maximize the use of renewable raw materials throughout our process.
Our culture is defined by the Market-Based Management® philosophy, which guides everyday decision making and provides employees with opportunities to contribute and personally benefit from the value they create.
Georgia-Pacific creates long-term value by using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of building products, tissue, packaging, paper, cellulose and related chemicals. Georgia-Pacific employs more than 1,700 individuals in Mississippi and has a workforce of nearly 35,000 at approximately 300 locations in North and South America and Europe.
Environmental Engineer (Solid Waste and Beneficial Reuse) - This role will work within the Leaf River Cellulose Environmental team, helping ensure compliance with the State of Mississippi and federal environmental regulations for this global supplier of Kraft market and fluff pulp. The selected individual will be expected to implement and maintain environmental management systems that promote environmental excellence. In addition, the individual will support the facility’s efforts in conforming to company policies and procedures, such as Georgia-Pacific's Environmental Compliance Standards. This role will be focused on management, compliance, and permitting of the Mill’s various waste streams, including leading efforts for the beneficial use and recycling of these streams
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
* Provide support to the Environmental Team in developing, executing, and maintaining site compliance with solid waste permits, including preparation and submittal of reports to outside agencies
* Obtain and maintain necessary permits, licenses, and plans for solid waste
* Track key compliance metrics and implement systems to improve performance
* Develop and manage opportunities for waste minimization
* Work directly with mill leadership, peers, and staff to assure implementation of an effective environmental management system
* Serve as point of contact for waste compliance for the Mill
* Rotate with other team members to provide support on weekends and holidays
* Coordinate groundwater monitoring, including managing contractor and reviewing and submitting reports to Mississippi DEQ
* Coordinate underground storage tank inspections
* Manage hazardous, universal, and used oil waste streams, including tracking, disposal, and reporting.
* Actively work to identify and implement value-added opportunities for beneficial reuse of the mill’s waste streams
* Assist in the management and tracking of nuclear gauges utilized in the manufacturing processes
* Identify (and deliver as needed) training required for waste related compliance and implement training for operations, maintenance, engineering personnel, other facility staff and contractors and maintain adherence to Company compliance standards
* Proactively share knowledge with Environmental Engineers from other GP facilities and participate in internal audits of other facilities
* Maintain and grow knowledge of federal and State of Mississippi laws governing Waste Management programs, including existing and emerging regulations
* Represent facility at agency meetings and during agency inspections
* Work closely with the mill Environmental Leader and Business Environmental Compliance Leaders for guidance and direction on all environmental matters.
What You Will Need:
* Bachelor’s degree in engineering, pulp & paper technology, physical science, or technical degree
* 1 year experience in an environmental engineering/compliance, or technician
What Will Put You Ahead?
* Experience working in pulp and paper or other large manufacturing industry
* Experience in managing compliance/permitting for solid waste
Why Work For GP?
* A culture that places top priority on integrity and compliance
* Opportunity for career growth at one of the largest, financially stable companies in the world
* Encouragement to challenge the status quo and share knowledge
* Responsibilities and rewards based on contributions
* Continued company growth due to reinvesting 90% of our earnings
* Competitive pay and benefits that help you manage your personal and financial wellness
Want to learn more about Georgia-Pacific?
We're part of your everyday life. From the walls of your home to the Dixie® plates on your table, the boxes at your local grocery store or the Quilted Northern® in your bathroom, there's a good chance a Georgia-Pacific product is nearby. We need people like you: People who can help us make life's simple necessities better.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf
Follow us GP-LinkedIn GP-Twitter GP-Facebook GP-YouTube