Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Posting Number: 17ST1561
Job Type: Full Time
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences is seeking a Senior Industrial Hygienist for Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety (REHS). The Senior Industrial Hygienist will recognize, evaluate and control environmental, health and safety hazards to ensure a safe and healthful workplace for research, clinical, administrative and support staff.
- Using modern industrial hygiene principles, plans, organizes, performs, conducts, and reports on findings and recommendations for: health, safety, and environmental audits in laboratory, clinical, administrative, and support areas; investigations of occupational exposure to chemical, biological and physical hazards; industrial hygiene monitoring and personal air sampling; and ergonomic assessments.
- Provides emergency response services, as needed, to include ensuring that appropriate actions are taken to protect the health and safety of personnel, minimize the impact on the environment, and control damage to university property.
- Provides technical assistance, advice, and program consultation to staff and administration in the interpretation and application of safety and occupational health directives, practices, and procedures.
- Identifies appropriate controls to prevent exposure to hazardous agents; evaluates engineering controls; recommends controls to eliminate and/or minimize employee health risks.
- Prepares clear, accurate, and scientifically sound technical reports on investigations, studies, audits, inspections, and similar activities.
- Designs and develops general and specialized safety and health training courses, educational materials, online training, newsletter articles and fact sheets.
- Promotes staff development and the transfer of knowledge by cross training, mentoring, and/or guiding the activities of other staff members.
- Assists with respiratory protection compliance to include qualitative and quantitative fit testing program development and training.
The incumbent will perform emergency response activities, including during off-hours and on-call periods.
Home Location Campus: Piscataway (RBHS)
Active membership and participation in an EH&S professional society is preferred. Experience working in a university setting or health care environment preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Professional certification (CSP, CIH, CHMM, CHP) or the education, training and experience sufficient to become certified in the EH&S profession.
Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern principals of industrial hygiene, modern public health methods of prevention, and control of occupational related illness and injuries. Demonstrated knowledge of federal and State laws, regulations, and standards related to health, safety, and environmental compliance, including OSHA, NJPEOSHA, ACGIH, and NIOSH, required. Demonstrated knowledge and accompanying experience with equipment uses and methodologies of environmental monitoring required.
Ability to prepare clear, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations, along with superior oral presentation and other communications skills required. Use of the Internet for research purposes, and experience with computers (email, desktop software applications such as Office, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) required.
Outstanding human relations and leadership skills, and the ability to function in a team environment required; must be able to work independently and without supervision, and on multiple simultaneous projects. Must have the maturity and judgment to represent the department in interactions with the university community and to seek assistance from supervisor when needed. Demonstrated knowledge of how to accomplish superior performance in a unionized environment is necessary.
Department: Environmental Health & Safety