EDUCATION: Bachelor degree in biology, microbiology, molecular biology, environmental science, public health, or medical science or closely related field
EXPERIENCE: Seven (7) years of experience in a laboratory or biomedical research setting; OR Master's Degree in biology, microbiology, molecular biology, environmental science, public health, or medical science or closely related field and five (5) years of experience in a laboratory or biomedical research setting, with demonstrable job skills, as defined below.
Preferred Certifications: Professional certification as a Registered Biosafety Professional (RBSP), Certified Biosafety Professional (CBSP), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), preferred.
Ability to obtain clearance: Continued employment in the position is contingent upon successful completion of a DOJ/FBI Security Risk Assessment for individuals seeking access to select biological agents and toxins, and receipt and maintenance of appropriate clearance in connection with the same.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local health and safety regulations and guidelines governing laboratory safety, biological safety and animal use operations.
- Knowledge of and experience in biosafety, microbiology, and recombinant DNA technologies;
- Knowledge of basic industrial hygiene principles, virology, molecular genetics, public health, chemistry and toxicology.
- Understanding of NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules and completing required review activities.
- Implementing standards and practices in accordance with the NIH-CDC Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories for laboratories at Biosafety Level 1 and 2 and Animal Biosafety Levels 1 and 2.
- Experience in conducting risk assessment for the management of infectious agents and potentially infectious materials, recombinant DNA materials and technologies.
- Knowledge of disinfection and decontamination of biohazardous materials.
- Practical experience with biosafety cabinets and familiarity with biosafety regulations and consensus standards.
- Knowledge of regulations specific to biosafety, infection control, and occupational health and safety including the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving rDNA or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules, CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories 5th edition, HHS and USDA Select Agent regulations, OSHA Blood borne Pathogen Standard, regulations on biomedical waste disposal.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of epidemiology, disease transmission patterns, risk-assessment and risk management, disinfection and sterilization of biohazardous materials, disease prevention, aerobiology and environmental control.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community; Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures. Able to provide process improvement by promoting organizational and operational efficiency.
- Investigative and problem solving and Program development and management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point.
- Excellent communications skills both oral and written.